Saturday, November 22, 2008

What now?!?

It has taken a few days but I am doing okay.

And I have turned my mind to 'what now'.

My Melbourne doctor said that people know when it is time to move on from IVF by a sick feeling in the pit of their gut.

For good or for bad - I don't have it.

I had a not very satisfactory debrief with Melb doctor - BUT amzingly managed to get into see old Sydney IVF doctor on Thursday - and had a much for inspiring conversation with him.

I told him about the dreadful fever and throat infection I got the day after the transfer and he put his hands over his face and said a fever is a very bad thing to happen when trying to conceive.

He said he has seen woman 8 to 10 weeks pregnant who get a fever and lose the baby.

We also talked about the possibility of doing one last cycle with my tired old eggs - and also about the possibility of doing another donor cycle with my sister with him here in Sydney.

On the plus side of doing donor cycle with my sister in Syd - is that Sydney IVF would not make us do all the counselling side of things again. And my sister could get all her scans and blood tests done in Melb - and just come up to Sydney for the pick up.

On the down side - my sister is not sure she wants to do it all again - and I am not sure it is fair on her too as well. She has said she wants to wait until after Christmas before making a decision.

I have also been looking at the donor eggs from Europe - Spain mostly.

The lovely Bee Cee sent me all her information - and I am going to investigate further.

My big reservation is that it is anonymous - and it feels like it might be a selfish act not to be able to tell a child at 18 or whenever it wants to go investigate its roots - where it has come from etc.

Maybe I can come to grips with this.

I am also thinking about quitting my job here in OZ and returning to London - as my husband still seems like he is along way from getting here. And I am really over this long distance thing.



Blogger Evil Stepmonster said...

Wow, they sure are big decisions!

I'm glad you had a good session with your Sydney Dr, that might help you find somewhere to start at least.

So So SO pleased you've bounced back, I've been worrying about you on your own up there.

Best wishes with the decision making.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Melbagirl said...

If you decide to go with Sydney ... go for it.

I feel for your sister. However, if she does decide to go for it again it may be third time lucky. And yes, Sydney would be easier.

I think you will come to grips with this. You do still have time to try again, your uterus will happily receive embryos for some years ... just gotta make 'em.

I am feeling your fear. But it will work out. You aren't desperate; there's still time. And like you said, you don't have that sick feeling in your stomach.

Maybe see how you go with your own eggs whilst you wait/decide ... you may get the surprise of your life.

Thinking of you.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Bee Cee said...

Yikes....a lot to think about. If there's anything I can do, just shout.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Sparkle said...

All sounds promising.

Did you do a cycle with SIVF before?

Reckon its a good idea to start fresh in the new year.

BTW I thought there was a clinic in Spain where you wouldn't have to be anonymous ... I might be wrong but I'm sure my RE has a relationship with a clinic in Madrid.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Melbagirl said...

Hi there,

Just thinkin' of ya!

Hope you're ok.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Evil Stepmonster said...

Thanks for your kind words lately. I hope you're ok. How are you going with your big decisions?

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home